Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I'd like you to come to my party if you're not too busy picking dead leaves off stuff in your garden



So I'm in this art show called Corpus Exuberis with my friends in Pangloss Gravitron at the Emmanuel Gallery in Denver. The show will be up for almost two months, so we decided to have a party there this Thursday (August 15),  just because. It'll be sort of like a second opening. Or a pre-closing.  I'm proud to say the show is pretty darn good and worth seeing all on its own, yet I'd much rather have you come see it while I'm there.

But here's the thing: I wasn't going to tell you about this party. I was hoping you'd hear about it from somebody really cool, or read about it in WestWord, and that would make you want to join us. Then just today I was talking with Meagen, who's also in the show, and she admitted she hasn't been telling people either, out of a similar over-cautiousness about burning her friends out with too many event requests. So here we are just hoping people will somehow get the idea that our party is the happening place to be, but we're not promoting it because no one wants to be a burden to their friends. You see, I know your inbox is jammed up with a lot of requests to attend cool events by cool people all over town. I know this because I'm on a lot of the same lists that you are, and my Facebook calendar is overflowing with "maybes."  But I've just recently realized the "maybe" box mostly gets checked by friends who really have no intention of coming to your event. These people genuinely like you, and support your efforts, and they want you to know that. But they're not coming. They're picking dead leaves off their tomato plants, because that's another thing that really has to get done.

Let's all just admit we're a little burned out by the flood of social media event requests. I'm glad I get them. It's good to know what's going on, and at the last minute I might just like to show up to that barbecue fundraiser at that guy's house down in Castle Rock who I only met once. But in the meantime, I'm trying to take it easy on my own friends, so much so that it turns out I haven't sent one email out to my list this year. Not one. I'm afraid my hesitance to add to the social noise has distanced me somewhat from the people who are genuinely interested in what I've been up to. It's tricky stuff, navigating the intricacies of social etiquette with such a blunt and invasive technology. But now I'm putting it out there. This is the show I'd like you to come see. It's in two days. A whole bunch of your friends will probably be there. Plus, even if you came to the opening there will be some surprises. Meagen now has an audio component to her installation, I've added a hacked Talking View-Master to the show, and Tracy has made much progress towards the completion of her live painting "Tracing Grace."


Tracy will also demonstrate and invite others to test the effects of the prototypes built in support of "Grace's Law" (above) in the back courtyard of Emmanuel Gallery.  Documentation of levels of exuberance before, during, and after use will continue throughout the night. Plus we'll have live tunes by Amber Hamilton and Beer provided by Cannonball Creek Brewing Company.

Details are Here. Please join us if you're not doing some other thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment